Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) and Youth MHFA are 8-hour training courses offered by the Center. The courses are designed to give individuals the skills they need to help someone who may be experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental health problem.
Participants learn the facts and warning signs of mental illness. Trainees are taught how to apply the 5-step strategy in a variety of situations, such as helping someone through a panic attack, engaging with someone who may be suicidal, or assisting an individual who has overdosed. An important component of the MHFA training is the opportunity to practice the intervention strategy. This simple experience can make it easier to actually apply the knowledge in a real-life situation.
This course may be eligible for continuing education credits for many different professions, such as nurses, educators, human resource professionals, etc. Participants should indicate when registering if they will be filing for CEUs so instructors know how many CEO eligible packets to prepare. Please note, all the 2018 public month long classes will be the ADULT version of MHFA. We are only offering the YOUTH version as a private request.
Classes cost $30 per person. Classes are typically held at the Bert Nash Center or offsite, which attendees will be notified of location.
- Classes cover 8-hours of instruction.
- Classes include a manual and snacks.
- For effective learning, the class must have a minimum of 7 people. Classes may be cancelled if it’s unable to be filled.
- To sign up for a MHFA class, please use the registration form below.
Classes held for businesses or organizations at their selected location, during normal weekday business hours.
- 14 people minimum, 25 people maximum.
- For private, for-profit businesses, there is a flat fee of $1,500.
- For government & non-profit organizations, the cost is $30 per person.
- Classes taught during a one-day seminar, two consecutive days or two days spread out over no more than a two-week period.
- Classes scheduled on first-come, first-served basis. Call 785-830-1795, submit the form below or email to schedule session or for free info.
Public Classes in 2018
|January 2018||Working with Adults||9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th||4-6 pm|
|April 2018||Working with Adults||3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th||4-6 pm|
|May 2018||Working with Adults||30th - 1 day for 8 hours||8 am - 5 pm|
|June 2018||Working with Adults||5th, 12th, 19th, 26th||4-6 pm|
|September 2018||Working with Adults||4th, 11th, 18th, 25th||4-6 pm|
|October 2018||Working with Adults||2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd||4-6 pm|