Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) and Youth MHFA are 8-hour training courses offered by the Center. The courses are designed to give individuals the skills they need to help someone who may be experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental health problem.
In addition to the MHFA Adult and Youth Versions, Bert Nash Center instructors also train Higher Education & Older Adults Versions. The Older Adults class modifies the Adult MHFA curriculum to address certain circumstances that are more likely to be present for adults that are aging or otherwise facing later-life challenges. This class is designed for older adults, people working with older adults, and family members of older adults. The Higher Education class modifies the Adult MHFA curriculum to address certain circumstances that are more likely to be present for those attending post-high school education. This class is designed for college students, people who work with college students, and family members of college students.
Participants learn the facts and warning signs of mental illness and substances use disorders. Trainees are taught how to apply the 5-step strategy in a variety of situations, such as helping someone through a panic attack, engaging with someone who may be suicidal, or assisting an individual who has overdosed. An important component of the MHFA training is the opportunity to practice the intervention strategy. This simple experience can make it easier to actually apply the knowledge in a real-life situation.
This course may be eligible for continuing education credits for many different professions, such as nurses, educators, human resource professionals, etc. Participants should let the instructor know they would like CEUS.
Classes cost $30 per person. Classes are typically held at the Bert Nash Center or offsite, which attendees will be notified of location.
- Classes cover 8-hours of instruction.
- Classes include a manual and snacks.
- For effective learning, the class must have a minimum of 7 people. Classes may be cancelled if it’s unable to be filled.
- To sign up for a MHFA class, please use the registration form below.
Classes held for businesses or organizations at their selected location, during normal weekday business hours.
- 14 people minimum, 25 people maximum.
- The cost is typically $30 per person.
- Classes taught during a one-day seminar, two consecutive days, or two days spread out over no more than a two-week period.
- Classes scheduled on first-come, first-served basis. Call 785-830-1723, submit the form below or email to schedule a session or for more info.